Tuesday, May 26, 2009

A Purpose & Plan

"For you formed my inward parts; you knitted me together in my mothers womb. I praise you for I am fearfully and wonderfully made. Wonderful are your works; my soul knows it very well. My frame was not hidden from you when I was being made in the secret, intricately woven in the depths of the earth. Your eyes saw my unformed substance; all the days ordained for me were written in your book before even one of them came to be." Psalm 139: 13-16

Written by Tiffany Edwards:

I was combing my 3 year old's hair and I asked her how she got to be so cute. She looked at me and shrugged her shoulders, "I don't know Mommy--I just am" was her response. I laughed and saw this moment as a teaching moment and began to quote the beautifully penned words of Psalm 139. As I told her about God weaving her little body together and choosing her name her face began to light up. I asked her, "Do you think God went, 'Oops--there's another baby!' ?" She giggled and said yes. I then told her that He did the exact opposite. He had her planned before the foundations of the earth were even set in place. He created her with a purpose, a specific plan and a life that only she could live. As she grew to know Him more and love Him, He would reveal that purpose and plan little by little until she goes home to be with Him in heaven. As the words spoken through me by the Holy Spirit fell on my little girl's ears, her eyes were bright and her smile was wide.

As she ran outside and I was processing the conversation we just had, I wondered how many of us needed to hear the same thing. I wondered how many people live and die without ever knowing that they were created for a specific purpose, the first of which is to know the One who created us and glorify Him through our existence (Ephesians 1:3-14). Even though she was only 3, knowing that she had a purpose and she didn't happen by mistake, made her radiant. Regardless of how old you are, knowing you have a purpose, that your short existence on earth was not a product of chance, is something that will change you from the inside out. My prayer for you this morning is that as you let the Psalmist's words in 139 penetrate your soul, that your heart would be radiant knowing that He formed you, He set forth the days of your life and He created you with a very specific purpose. Praise the Lord for His creative workmanship that resulted in you!

No comments:

Post a Comment