Friday, April 17, 2009

Nisi Dominus Frusta


"Without the Lord, frustration".

A simple Latin phrase coined from Psalm 127:1-2

"Unless the Lord builds the house, its builders labor in vain. Unless the Lord watches over the city, the watchmen stand guard in vain. In vain you rise early and stay up late, toiling for food to eat- for he grants sleep to those he loves."

There is nothing more frustrating than feeling our work in useless. Each of us desperately desires to know that the work we "rise early and stay up late" for has a purpose. As an employee we need to know that the hours we put into our jobs is accomplishing something. As a student, we need to know that the hours we pour into studying will pay off. As a mother I need to know the blood, sweat and tears of motherhood is not empty.

While few things seem precious and sacred in our world these days, our time is still a commodity few want to squander. How disparaging to look back over our lives and see that all we poured ourselves into was meaningless....a chasing after the wind. Yet God's Word tells us that unless His hand is on the work we set about doing, we are spinning our wheels. John 15 is also clear in it's profession that we will have fruitful lives only when we remain in Him.

As Dave & I raise our children, are we doing it in our own strength? Even the best of intentions will be much work all in vain. As we raise our children are we inviting the Lord to daily give us wisdom into the building of this home? Are we spending time with Him to receive the direction we need to guide this family as He desires? Even on a daily basis I can see this truth lived out: When I start my day with the Lord and reshift my focus from myself to Him, and then live the day with Christ in the mix ("Lord what do you want us doing today? How do you want us spending our time, finances...? How can I creatively get your Word into my babies hearts?) there is much clarity, insight and direction.

Babel is the perfect example of this from the Old Testament. Genesis 11 says the people of the city set out to build a city and tower "so that we can make a name for ourselves". And what was the result? The same thing that results in our families when our focus in not on the Lord & living for His great glory: there is chaos and confusion.

"Without the Lord, frustration". Lord remind me of this when I set about my day on my own agenda. Apart from you it is all empty.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Waking Eve Playlist


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones
holy experience

Followers

7 X 7