Friday, April 24, 2009

Further Still

There is a phrase resounding in the deepest corners of my heart...beckoning me to come "further still". I have never been satisfied with my complacency. There are seasons that I find myself growing stagnant with the Lord, doing my normal quiet time with Him and even enjoying worship, but yet there is still a nagging ache in my heart for more. An ache to come "further still".

Today as I was thinking and dialoguing with the Lord about this, He had me pick up a book from off the shelf. You know when He's whispering in your spirit for you to do something, and although for the life of you you cannot figure out why, still you press on to heed that voice. And so up on the top of our entertainment center I reached to grab a book that sits among others for decor. It's a book I haven't touched since college and I didn't even remember the name until it was in my hands: Further Still. It is a compilation of poems and writings by one of my favorite authors Beth Moore.

One of the things that consistently blows my mind is the dailiness of God. He is always about His glory, and so when His children listen, we can be sure He's going to show up & speak a fresh word to us. Today was no different. As I curiously picked up the book to see what in the world God had for me, I didn't have to get through page 3 to figure it out. I wanted to share this with you as this is my hearts desire for this new year:

"Life can be almost unbearable at times, can't it? The one and only thing that has gotten me through my hardest times has been turning them into invitations to go further still with God. With few exceptions, the writings in this volume that will seem the deepest were drawn from the well of pain. Sometimes our "further stills" come from the excruciating diving push to move from any hint of complacency into the brisk current of the river of God. I write this introduction to you on the second day of the new year. I just told God this morning that I want to keep going further with Him. I never want to grow stagnant or satisfied with my current knowledge of Christ."

And this is the first writing of the book:
Further Still

"In that lonely place no friend can go
No brother can help, no loved one can know

I must crawl on while you stay
Further still, just watch and pray

In that lonely place the cup is fought
To sip the pain or choose my lot

To claim my rights or cast them down
To gain my loss or scorn my crown

Life pivots there in Further still
Face to the ground fighting His will

Can't choose to return the same who went
Once further still, The old is spent

So remember me and stay close by
I'll need you soon right by my side

And pray me back Til He has won
And throat is parched from "Yours be done!"

(Based on a passage from Matthew 26: 36-39)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Waking Eve Playlist


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones
holy experience

Followers

7 X 7