Thursday, December 3, 2009

The Groaning in the Waiting

As I woke this morning, snuggled up with my three and a half year old, my heart felt strangely heavy within. I couldn't put my finger on it. As I scanned our day and the joy of the upcoming weekend, I could not for the life of me understand the tension & frustration within my spirit. The joy that I should have woken with lay masked beneath layers of discontent & longing.

Longing for what?

As joy seemed so distant, I quickly opened to words of truth to help make out the confusion.

"We know that the whole creation has been groaning as in the pains of childbirth right up to the present time. Not only so, but we ourselves, who have the firstfruits of the Spirit, groan inwardly as we wait eagerly for our adoption as sons, the redemption of our bodies." (Romans 8:22-23)

The New Living Translation says:

"And we believers also groan, even though we have the Holy Spirit within us as a foretaste of future glory, for we long for our bodies to be released from sin and suffering. We, too, wait with eager hope for the day when God will give us our full rights as his adopted children, including the new bodies he has promised us.


We were given this hope when we were saved. (If we already have something, we don’t need to hope for it. But if we look forward to something we don’t yet have, we must wait patiently and confidently.)"

And in this the Lord reminded me. There ought to be a groaning. There ought to be greater longing for the "release from sin & suffering" that is to come. We have been given a "foretaste of future glory". For right now we see in part, but soon we will see & know fully.

I suspect that if there were no longing, no eager hope & expectation, we would indeed have staked our citizenship in the wrong land. We have far too long made earth our home, forgetting that this is our temporal plot to bring glory to our Creator.

In that reminder Christ graciously reassured that the longings will remain. This- He reminded me- is precisely why He has called us to put our hope in HIM and not in any earthly thing. No person or thing can bear the weight of my expectation. The idol will come tumbling down.

Seek Me.

Let Me fill your cup.

Enjoy the gifts I have given & the blessings at hand... but know that they are but a foretaste.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Waking Eve Playlist


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones
holy experience

Followers

7 X 7