Monday, August 31, 2009

This Is My Seed

Written by Mary Bales:
Our family recently took a vacation to Red River, NM. We were amazed and captivated by God’s marvelous creation. I was able to spend some with God, surrounded by beauty and nature. In one of my quiet moments, God brought to my mind the words to "Desert Song" by Hillsong. (song below)


"This is my prayer in the harvest, where favor and providence flow. I know I’m filled to be emptied again. This seed I’ve received, I will sow"… (verse 4)


WOW!!! So many times, I turn to God in the desert, the fire & the battle. I pray for provision, strength & victory. I proclaim faith & hope. How do I pray in the harvest? or do I even pray in the harvest???? Do I feel that God has filled me to allow me to pour into others? Did God bless me with a harvest to love on others? So many times in the New Testament, Jesus demonstrates this very act of worship (Acts 10:45; Romans 5:5; 2Tim 4:6; John 3:16; John 19:30; Romans 8:32; Gal 1:4; Gal 2:20; Titus 2:11-14, and on & on).

As believers and followers of Christ, aren’t we called to follow the ways of Christ? Surely he has blessed us to pour into others.
But that was not enough, God was relentlessly pushing another issue…
"This seed I’ve received, I will sow"
This can be difficult to accept. Do we look at others and covet their "seed"? Did you have plans to do and have things in a certain time frame? Did God have different plans? Does your family look different than you hypothetically orchestrated? What about your career? Health? Wealth? Are we constantly wanting what others have?

I look at the example of my sweet Libby. She is 11 months old and we were told when she was 3 months old that she would be severely special needs. This is not how I pictured my 3rd child. Over the last 8 months, I have argued and wrestled with God. I have been angry & sad. I have grieved the "healthy child" that I had imagined. That day, God came through my ipod and said that this was my seed to sow. I would minister to others and love others, that I never would have been in contact with. I would have the incredible opportunity to witness daily miracles in Libby. I would see the hand of God all over my life & my marriage. I would find myself in a "harvest", that others may have considered the "desert".

It has been a daily struggle, and I still have moments of despair. However, God has a plan & a purpose for each of our lives. Psalm 139 says that He knew Libby before the foundations of the earth… He knew & gave me this seed. It is time that I stopped coveting what others have & rejoice in the blessings and miracles of my life. I am to love and pour into others. I am to sow what God has given to me. Most of all, I am called to glorify HIM, so that others may know Him.
"All of my life, in every season,
You are still God.
I have a reason to sing
I have a reason to worship"
Written by Mary Bales


No comments:

Post a Comment